Manchester United are not ready to admit defeat in signing Jadon Sancho from Dortmund, but are already looking at alternatives.
Solskjaer made a deal for Sancho his No.1 focus this summer, but the club have refused to go back on their asking price for the player.
Dortmund’s sporting director spoke on Monday as Sancho joined his team-mates for a pre-season camp in Switzerland after United failed to agree a deal for him before the reported deadline of August 10.
‘We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season,’ Zorc told reporters at the team’s training camp on Monday afternoon.
‘The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.’
Zorc also revealed that Borussia Dortmund extended Jadon Sancho’s contract by another year last summer.
‘Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances,’ he said. ‘So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.’
- Solskjaer singles out Juan Mata after Copenhagen victory
- Paul Scholes aims dig at Mourinho over Anthony Martial
While United could still sign Sancho this summer, according to ESPN, the Red devils could turn to Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele.
Dembele has endured a turbulent three-years in the Spanish league with a succession of injuries and disciplinary breeches affecting his efforts to cement a first team spot.
Indeed, the Frenchman hasn’t played a single game since November and even underwent hamstring surgery in February.
Dembele is not part of the Barcelona team which flew to Lisbon for the latter parts of the Champions League.
The report claims the winger, who was replaced by Sancho at Dortmund, would need to be convinced over the benefits of moving to Old Trafford, but talks have already started.