Wednesday, February 28News That Matters

Greenwood rejected chance to switch national teams’ as England future revealed

Manchester United star Mason Greenwood has rejected the chance to switch international allegiances despite Gareth Southgate not being ready to recall him for the England national team, according to reports.

Greenwood remains suspended by his club while United complete their internal probe after his 2022 arrest on suspicion of rape and assault.




He was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill. All charges against the player were dropped in February 2023, with a statement released on his behalf saying he was “relieved that this matter is now over”.

The United star is eligible to represent Jamaica as well as England, and FIFA rules allow players to make switches if they have won three or fewer senior caps before 21. But, according to The Sun, Greenwood hopes to return to the England fold at some point.

Greenwood made his debut in a UEFA Nations League match against Iceland, but has not represented his country since.

He was sent home with Phil Foden from that camp after a breach of Covid guidelines. But, while Foden has returned to the international fold and played a part at Euro 2020 and the 2022 World Cup, Greenwood did not add to his cap, with The Sun reporting he will never do so under Southgate.




The United forward missed the Euros through injury, and Jamaica made efforts to convince him to declare for them in 2021 according to reports from The Telegraph.

Recently, Jamaica Football Federation general secretary Dennis Chung told reporters the nation wouldn’t rule out a call-up for a player he described as having “a very bright future ahead of him”.




Back in 2021 England head coach Southgate said the Covid breaches were not standing in the way of another call-up for the player, claiming the Three Lions had “tried to pick” the youngster.

Meanwhile, United have not put a timeframe on their internal investigation on the attacker.

“Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped,” the Premier League club said in a February statement.

“The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”

The Crown Prosecution Service had earlier issued a statement. “The withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction,” it began.

The CPS added: “In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case. We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

× Click Here To Make Advert Enquiry