Manchester United have decided that they will not sign Wout Weghorst on a permanent basis during this summer window.
Weghorst was signed as a short-term solution to United’s striker shortage in January but has scored only two goals in 26 games.
Weghort’s work rate and enthusiasm has earned him something close to cult hero status during his short time at Old Trafford but Erik ten Hag will be looking for an upgrade in the summer, according to The MEN.
Eintracht Frankfurt’s Randal Kolo Muani is believed to be a key target but United are likely to face competition from Europe, with Bayern Munich reported to be coveting the France international.
‘I cannot confirm that,’ said Thomas Tuchel when asked about Bayern’s interest in the player on Friday. ‘I wouldn’t confirm it even if it were the case. At the moment, that’s not a topic.’
Victor Osimhen is also on their shortlist but the Napoli striker was in no mood to discuss his future after helping his team secure their first Serie A title in 33 years last night.
Osimhen said: ‘I am overwhelmed right now. It’s an amazing feeling. We’ve waited so many years for this moment and to be able to deliver the Scudetto to the Neapolitans is something we will not forget and it will continue to live in our hearts for the rest of our lives.
‘I am happy for the squad, for all Neapolitans, now we can celebrate in our stadium and we’re going to enjoy it for life.’
Ten Hag, meanwhile, remains in the dark over the Red Devils’ summer budget and is unlikely to receive any clarity until the takeover saga is resolved.
When asked how much money would be available to spend earlier this week, he said: ‘I don’t know. ‘The only thing I know is that Man United is one of the biggest clubs in the world.
‘But you need funds to construct squads because the level from your players decides if you are successful or not. High-level players cost a lot of money.
‘It’s clear what I want, but it’s not up to me. It’s about others in this club. I’m focusing on improving the squad and the team development.’