Man Utd respond to claims Cristiano Ronaldo could make Chelsea move

Manchester United are adamant that Cristiano Ronaldo is not for sale and will still be at the club next season, despite the Portugal striker being linked with a move to Premier League rivals Chelsea.

Ronaldo enjoyed a superb return to United last campaign – at least on an individual basis – scoring 24 goals in 38 games and being voted for the PFA Player of the Year award.




The 37-year-old signed a three-year deal when he re-joined United last summer but he was linked with a move away from Old Trafford throughout the 2021-21 campaign and that speculation has increased since the end of the season.

Ronaldo, desperate to win trophies at Old Trafford and get back into the Champions League, is reported to be concerned by the club’s transfer strategy, with several deals stalling in the early stages of the transfer window.




On Saturday, it was reported that new Chelsea owner Todd Boehly met Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes in Portugal, where the player’s future at United and a possible move to the London club was discussed.

While Chelsea’s interest in Ronaldo is unknown, Thomas Tuchel wants to bolster his attacking options this summer after sanctioning the exit of Romelu Lukaku, who is set to return to Inter Milan on a season-long loan.

The Blues have also been linked with Raheem Sterling and Lewandowski and it appears that Chelsea will be left disappointed if they do make a move for Ronaldo as United are adamant he is not leaving.

A senior source at United told the Manchester Evening News: ‘Cristiano is not for sale. We want and fully expect him to be with us next season.’




Ronaldo, who has won five Ballon d’Or awards, said last month that he was ‘happy’ at United and excited to work under new manager Erik ten Hag.

Ten Hag is taking over a team who finished just sixth in the Premier League last campaign despite Ronaldo’s goals.

‘I was and still am very happy to be here, and what I have to say to the fans is they are amazing,’ Ronaldo said.

‘Even when we lost games, they always support us, they always are with us. The supporters are always in my heart and it’s the people that we all should respect because they are always on our side.

‘For me, the most important thing is to try to win the games and try to win some championship or some cup but I believe that Manchester will be where they belong. As I say before, sometimes it takes time but I still believe.




‘What I know about him [Ten Hag] is he did a fantastic job for Ajax, that he’s an experienced coach. But we need to give him time.

‘Things need to change the way he wants. I hope we have success, of course, because, if you have success, all of Manchester is going to have success as well. I wish him the best.

‘We are happy and excited, not only as players, but the supporters as well. I wish him the best and let’s believe that, next year, we are going to win trophies.’

JB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Man Utd change transfer plans after Darwin Nunez rejection

1 month ago
Erik ten Hag is now targeting a ‘versatile’ forward after Darwin Nunez turned down Manchester United in favour of a move to Liverpool. The Uruguayan star joined the Reds in an initial £64m deal this month, with Jurgen Klopp’s side winning the race to sign the Benfica attacker. United held […]
× Click Here To Make Advert Enquiry