Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez – who has been linked with a move to Manchester United says he will make an announcement about his new club on Wednesday.
The Spain international, who has risen through the ranks at Atletico Madrid, signed a huge nine-year deal with the club in 2017.
Saul has become one of the first names on Diego Simeone’s starting XI and the manager made the midfielder one of his four captains for the current campaign.
However, United have been heavily linked with a move for the player in recent weeks and a report claimed that discussions between the Red Devils and Atletico over a deal were “practically closed”.
Indeed, it has also been reported that Saul – who has a €150million release clause in his current contract – could be available for only half that price.
Taking to Twitter on Sunday, Saul said: “I wanted to communicate something important to you”, adding “New club: I announce it. Three days”.
- Man Utd reach new loan agreement to keep Odion Ighalo until 2021
- How Harvey Elliott snubbed Madrid & Sergio Ramos to sign for Liverpool
Saul has played 37 matches this campaign, contributing four goals along the way.
Atletico are through to the Champions League quarter-finals after beating Liverpool in their last game before football was suspended, with Saul getting a goal in the first leg of the tie.
Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Ince has previously given his verdict on Saul, saying that he would be a ready-made fit for Solskjaer’s side.
“I’ve watched Niguez for the last two or three years and I really like him. He’s got a lovely build and can score some special goals. There’s a culture about him and he’s still young with plenty of potential,” Ince said.
“The thing is, he won’t be cheap – that’s for sure. And, if you look to get him in, you have to think about what happens to Paul Pogba.
“There’s also talk about Felix, but he struggled in Spain – and there’s still a ferocity to the Premier League. You’ve got to think about if they can come in and play straight away.”