Erik ten Hag concedes Manchester United ‘are not where we want to be’ but says he is only focused on his available players after the club’s decision to offload Mason Greenwood.
Earlier this week, United announced that Greenwood would no longer play for the club after he was arrested and charged by Manchester Police with attempted rape, controlling behaviour & assault last year.
- Todd Boehly faces internal Chelsea fury after transfer decisions that may prove costly
- Pochettino names the two players Chelsea will sign before the window closes
- Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Thomas Muller picks the GOAT
All charges against him were dropped in February but following an investigation, United’s hierarchy concluded that the player should leave Old Trafford due to the ‘harsh spotlight’ he would have faced if he stayed.
When asked about United’s decision over Greenwood, Ten Hag said: ‘Look, we are not where we want to be with our team, I have a lot of work and a lot of focus on my team, so I focus on the players who are available.
‘I only have statements about our performance, our squad, where we have to improve because it’s clear, we have to improve. I have to put every effort in to get the team to perform.
‘I focus on the current squad and the players available.
‘Once again, what Manchester United fans expect is a winning Manchester United and I’m responsible for that and I have to put all my effort and all my focus and make us play better than we do now.’
A statement from Man United released on Monday read: ‘Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped.
‘Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible.
‘This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.
‘Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.
‘That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.
‘All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United.
‘It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.’