Thursday, June 13News That Matters

Man Utd had £100m bid for Declan Rice rejected

Manchester United failed with a £100m bid to sign West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice last summer, according to reports.

The 24-year-old has been strongly linked with a transfer move to one of Europe’s top sides over the last few seasons after establishing himself as a key player for club and country.




Rice has already played 222 games across all competitions for the Hammers, scoring 11 goals and providing 12 assists, while he has also represented England on 39 occasions including 12 appearances in two major tournaments.

But, Rice is yet to test himself in the Champions League and the midfielder has stated that he is ready to compete in European competition and challenge “for big trophies”.

“One hundred per cent I want to play in the Champions League,” Rice told reporters at the end of last year. “For the last two or three years I’ve been saying that.

“I’ve been playing consistently well for my club and I feel like I really want to keep pushing. I see my friends here who are playing Champions League and for big trophies.




“You only get one career and at the end you want to look back at what you’ve won and the biggest games you’ve played in. I really want to do that.”

Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool and most recently Arsenal and Newcastle have all been linked with a move for Rice, while Real Madrid have also been credited with an interest.




Indeed, the Red Devils were keen to strengthen their midfield options ahead of the 2022-23 campaign, with Rice reported to have been one of their main targets.

However, Erik ten Hag’s side moved for Brazil international Casemiro, who moved to Old Trafford from Real Madrid for around £70m and has become a key figure at Old Trafford.

According to talkSPORT presenter Jim White, the Red Devils saw a £100m bid for Rice rejected by West Ham during last summer’s transfer window.

Bug West Ham boss David Moyes has said several times that they have no interest in selling the midfielder, but White adds that they may entertain offers around £120m plus add-ons.

Rice was impressive for West Ham in last week’s 1-1 draw away against Newcastle, and Moyes stated after the game that the midfielder will exceed the British transfer record should he leave the club.

“Undoubtedly Declan is going to be a top player and undoubtedly he’ll be a British transfer record and more whenever he leaves West Ham,” Moyes told reporters.

Asked whether an exit for Rice is inevitable, Moyes added: “I hope it’s not, I hope he sees his time here, but look, there’s a lot of talk about it and when you see what’s going about for the prices.

“I think Declan will be blowing that [British transfer record] out of the water, that’s for sure, when it comes around.”

The current British transfer record stands a £106.8m after the Blues won the race to sign Enzo Fernandez from Benfica on deadline day.

Rice, who has been with West Ham since joining the London club’s academy from Chelsea in 2014, is under contract until the summer of 2024.

   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

× Click Here To Make Advert Enquiry