Cristiano Ronaldo has split with his agent Jorge Mendes after a disagreement which led to his Manchester United departure, according to reports.
- Chelsea make Mudryk transfer promise to Shakhtar as Arsenal receive warning
- Newcastle reveal truth behind rumours of Ronaldo joining the club next season
Mendes has represented Ronaldo since his £12.2m move from Sporting CP to Old Trafford in 2003 and has stayed with the former Real Madrid star throughout his glittering career.
But, Portuguese newspaper Publico claims that Ronaldo severed ties with Mendes in November, which coincided with his exit at United.
The report claims that Mendes was against Ronaldo’s decision to take part in the interview with Piers Morgan on TalkTV in which he blasted United’s hierarchy and Erik ten Hag.
It’s believed that Mendes spent months attempting to find another team in Europe for Ronaldo and knew that his interview would end his second stint at Old Trafford.
It’s also claimed that Mendes had disagreed with Ronaldo over his career trajectory for some time as he has remained adamant that he can still perform for a top Champions League team.
Publico reports that Ronaldo has now entrusted Ricardo Regufe, who previously worked as a representative for Nike in Portugal before he became a full-time member of Ronaldo’s entourage.
Mendes initially brought Al-Nassr’s interest to Ronaldo in November but the player is said to have instructed Regufe to contact the Saudi Arabian team after Portugal’s elimination from the World Cup last week.
Speaking at his unveiling with Al-Nassr on Tuesday, Ronaldo claimed he had received several offers from teams in Europe.
‘In Europe my work is done,’ Ronaldo said. ‘I had many offers in Europe, many in Brazil, Australia, the US, even in Portugal.
‘Many clubs tried to sign me but I gave my word to this club, for the opportunity to have not only football but [to be] part of this amazing country. And for me it was a challenge.’